Shabby Blog Background

Sunday, February 23, 2014

"Show 'biz"

I am a pretty busy student, from September to June my life is taken up by school, from August to November and March to May all my free time is taken up by Field Hockey and Crew respectively. But what about that middle stretch? The long winter months? My life is taken over by "show business"! I am the head of my school's costumes crew and from October to March I costume three or four High school shows back to back. That's right, not just my (all girls school) shows, but our brother school's as well!
Our designs for the original costumes from our Spring Show, a 1920s 12th Night

Now I can see the finish line, I've done three shows and tech week for the final show fast approaches. This last show is one for our brother school, it's Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat, a childhood favorite of mine. I'm having so much fun working on it, I especially enjoyed making the dreamcoat (in two days cough cough)! I wanted it to have a full circle skirt so it could do this trick:
and I wanted it to have chevroned stripes on top kind of like this:

So I made this!
Ignore me and my wet hair doing homework in the background.
There are 8 skirt panels, all the stripes meet in chevrons at every (!) seam, it is fully lined in gold lamé and it fits great. Yay I'm so happy with it, it turned out great and the cast and Director love it! Now..... I just have to make all the less fun ensemble stuff.... )-:

Enjoy the kooky fun of Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of responsibility and work - all those shows! I've done theatre costuming myself, so I can relate. :) And I love Joseph...my jr/sr high-school did that, uh, almost fifteen years ago, but I still remember it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the show, it's so fun and the music is catchy. Theatre work is hectic and dramatic, but so fun!

      Delete
  2. Yay! I totally know that this post was just for me! :) As I told you countless times before, the coat looks fab (it's not like I am inflating your ego or anything)! As soon as we get through this week of hastily sewing we will be in smooth waters once again!

    ReplyDelete