Shabby Blog Background

Saturday, April 20, 2013

What I am trying to make... and why it's not happening!

Philadelphia Boathouse row
When you're an over ambitious high schooler who's takes part in too many extracurriculars and challenging classes, the sewing hobby and sometimes sleep are the activities that get effected.  Lately all of my free time has been divided in between traveling to and rowing on the Schuylkill river. So pretty much if I am ever not heaving water I am exhausted! 



Understandably my current project has been slightly halted. It is an early 1890s ball gown in pale pink. I'm using the truly Victorian 1892 umbrella skirt pattern and the 1892 ball gown bodice pattern.
 
The sleeves are the small evening draped ones from Jean Hunnisett's Period Costumes for Stage and Screen. I've made the the basic bodice and skirt but have yet to hem, finish, or trim either. I think I will trim it with some pink chiffon drapes, silk flowers, and some glass seed bead embroidery. Here are some inspiration images:




I think this last one looks the most like it does.


2 comments:

  1. That sounds lovely! Can't wait to see how it turns out.
    I'm a senior in high-school, myself. So I can sympathize with the whole not-enough-time-for-hobbies thing. I don't think I've finished any big projects in a long time!
    (By the way, I love your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hahaha yes, the only time I really sew is when I have days off, otherwise there is always a Latin test to study for! I look forward to seeing your progress on your Lady Maude Warrener dress, I love that era and have wanted to make an evening gown form then for a long time too!

      Delete